Work on your salon not in it for success, increased revenue and profits.
1) What exactly is working on your salon and not in it
In the salon business, an owners job is to choreograph the salon to the beat of their drum. Like a puppeteer, you need to be in control of the salon, and you need to be the one pulling your staff's strings so to speak.
Initially, when you start your salon its likely that you will be heavily involved in delivering services and selling products, but regardless of that, you must always be working on your salon. That means you must be driving the salon forward by working on your salon and not in it.
Yes, you will have to do the activity until you can afford to get others to do the work in the salon but regardless you need to spend time each day working on your salon not in it.
- As the salon owner it is your responsibility to direct your salon
- You need to become the puppeteer
- Working on your salon and not in it is the key to your success
2) Why you must work on your salon every day
To survive in the marketplace salon owners must always be innovating their offering and marketing and selling it. All other activities are costs, and a salon owner must divest themselves of these activities as soon as is possible.
The greatest thinkers in business have stated that any activity other than innovation and marketing are a business cost and you as the salon owner should always be increasing income through direct response marketing and increasing value in your services and products through innovation.
- Innovation and marketing are the only investments in business
- All other activities are costs
- As salon owner your role is to market and innovate your salon
- Delegate all other activities as soon as you can afford it
3) How do you work on your salon
Working on your salon as a salon owner is difficult as you often get caught up in the mundane activity of being in the salon. You must, however, no matter what size your salon is, step outside the delivery of your services and work on your marketing and innovation
You must as soon as it is possible to divest yourself of any activity which does not bring you in sales or improve your services and products. The first activity you will want to divest yourself of is the routine administration of the salon, this activity although critically crucial to your success is not one that delivers more sales in of itself and as such must be delegated to others as quickly as possible.
Write a list of all activities you currently do in a day or a week and identify which of these activities are not marketing or innovation and delegate them to others as soon as you can afford to do so. In the meantime schedule in a few hours every day to work on your salon. Your reward will be a glorious salon that will serve you until you exit the business.
- Write a list of all activities you currently undertake in your salon
- Delegate any non marketing and innovation activities as soon as you can afford too
- Schedule time everyday to work on your salon until you can delegate the activities which are currently preventing you from working on your business
- Salon owners must direct their restaurant
- You need to be the puppeteer not the puppet
- Working on your salon is key
- innovation and marketing are investments all other things are costs
- Your role is to market and innovate your salon
- Delegate all other activities as soon as you can afford them
- Write a list of all activities you carry out each day / week and delegate any non marketing/innovation activities as soon as you can afford too
- Schedule time everyday to work on your business until you can afford to delegate